Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Addicted to Panna Cotta

Last Sunday, My family attended Joehna's 2nd Bday Party. It was a fantabulous one having such a nice party Harajuku Style :) My son danced all the time enjoying the lighted dance floor specially installed for the party. While everyone else is enjoying the mood of the party, me and my husband devoured to this delicious dessert called Panna Cotta in Caramel Sauce.

I cannot count how many glasses I consumed during the event but I still wanted more. haha! SO i decided to make one for myself.

Soon as I got home I looked for the best possible and easiest way to make a good panna cotta. Then I got this one: Enjoy!

Panna Cotta

Eight servings

I love this dessert and the great thing about Panna Cotta is that it demands to be made in advance. You can make them up to two days ahead and keep them well-covered and chilled.

4 cups (1l) heavy cream (or half-and-half)
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 packets powdered gelatin (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
6 tablespoons (90ml) cold water


1. Heat the heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan or microwave. Once the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.

2. Lightly oil eight custard cups with a neutral-tasting oil.

3. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a medium-sized bowl and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.

4. Pour the very warm Panna Cotta mixture over the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.

5. Divide the Panna Cotta mixture into the prepared cups, then chill them until firm, which will take at least two hours but I let them stand at least four hours. (

If you're pressed for time, pour the Panna Cotta mixture into wine goblets so you can serve them in the glasses, without unmolding.

6. Run a sharp knife around the edge of each Panna Cotta and unmold each onto a serving plate, and garnish as desired.

To make Panna Cotta with sheet gelatin: Soften 25g (approximately six sheets) in a liter of cold water for 5 to 10 minutes. Wring the sheets out and stir them into the warm Panna Cotta mixture in step # 4, until dissolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment