Friday, August 5, 2011

My Stormy Milo Marathon Experience

I remember myself running last year's Milo Marathon in the 5k category, I was struggling, waiting for every water station to appear in front of me. My time back then was around 49 minutes for a 5K. It was very hot (well... for me), there were too many people. The Grandstand was so crowded... I still remember seeing Karylle pop in front of me out of nowhere then the people went giddy and took photos of her. Well, that was last year. This year's event's far too different from any of my previous races. This one is amazing! A lot of firsts happened in this race.

It was my first time to run in a stormy day. I finished my 21k run in 2:37, and I did it while getting drizzled by heavy rainfall and gusty winds. There where also puddles and flood along the way which made the course look like a trail run :D

It was my first time to pee while on a race, good thing there was a portalet near luneta. lol! During a normal race, when it is sunny and extremely hot, I never get to use the portalets... But this time, the weather was too cold for me, and I am all soaked up. I was hesitant to unload at first, there was me thinking that the portalet might be dirty or smelly. (i get tummy sick when I smell something not good) I was also worried about my time. 1 unnecessary stop will make me lose my pace to make for the cutoff time (w/c i didn't beat) but what the heck, I might suffer if don't unload. :p So there, I lost precious minutes that's too important for me. hehe. (emo)

After that funny part, I decided to focus on my run and try to recover my precious pacing. I was able to beat my previous records in the 5k 10k and 16k during the course, but then, when I reached the 17th km marker, I felt a sudden pain on my butt then went down to my thighs... I was so worried that it might be cramps, I don't want to stop. I want to continue my run. So, I tried to run what could be the longest 5k of my life. I remember myself trying to push my feet to step a li'l more quick s I may be able to reach the finish line before the cut off time. I tried my best,I did a few stops to recover quick. I saw my watch hit the 2:30 cutoff time when I was nearing the Esplanade. My hopes and dreams just fade...But I did not give up. I am already there. I braved the storm. I braved the wind... I will finish my race strong and with a smile no matter what my time is. I was hoping to see any familiar face as I hit the finish line but there was none. I can only remember spongebob runner was one of those who finish along with me. My time was 2:37. I was just 7 minutes behind. I am not sad about it... I will reach this cutoff time sooner or later. There's the term we call practice and perseverance. I will have them both, so that next time, I can beat that 2:30 with a proud heart. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment